BMW X5 Questions...

Cyclotourist

iMTB Hooligan
Free Zone Post to the max: We're thinking of replacing our minivan w/ a second gen X5. We're long time Bimmer drivers ('73 2002, '89 325iX, '91 325i cab, '91 325i sedan, '94 525iT), that had to give 'em up for a while due to kids, school, work obligations. Now at the point where they're looking good again. Looking pretty closely at the 2010 3.o models as they seem to have most of the pluses (updated idrive) and few of the minuses (turbo engine). We typically buy used vehicles with around 50k on them, and keep 'em for 10 years or so. Anyone have an opinion on these vehicles?

The most recent one we've had was a '94 fiver, and it was great. All were easy to work on, and no problems to speak of (other than the GM-built auto-trans going out). i-Drive annoys me, but figure I can deal with it. We'll need a third row... do they actually fit a human-sized person? Sort of tempted by the diesel engines, but wary of turbos in general. Big concern?

So, any opinions on this? Foolish, awesome, stay with a Honda?

X5--bicycle-carrier.jpg

I've had a 550i, m3 and most recently an m4. I will never own another BMW. I don't want to explain the reasons why. I'll stick to Lexus or GMC Denali brands.

I have no experience with BMW, except that a disproportional number of their owners behave like selfish douchebags on the roads :p

My bigger concern with all the German cars is electrical - various years, makes, models seem to have a lot of problems compared to American and asian carmakers. That may not have been an issue when you owned them in the 90s and earlier, but it is something to look into for the models and years you are considering. I owned an audi for a few years and had no issues but friends who have owned those and other German cars have all had electrical issues. YMMV of course.

For biking and if you are into camping, why not consider a van that could be partially converted for something useful for road trips?

Thanks @El Immigrante @evdog @Danmtchl ! My experience is all w/ older models, but those were also supposed to have bad electrical problems. Obviously a lot simpler than the new ones, but I can't say I have anything but positive experiences. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to avoid the forced induction models, just more parts to worry about. But as Montalvo implies, there's still a lot there to go wrong.
Previously, we had the trans go out @ 120k on the fiver, the instrument cluster go out @ 150k on on of the threes, and fuel pumps go out @ 100k on the money on all the threes (at least until I figured to replace prematurely). But other than those things, solid cars.

Sportsmobile would be awesome, but it needs to be my wife's commuter car... I don't think that's what she has in mind :-)

Acura MDX is on our list, but our prior experience w/ Bimmers was really positive, so we're tempted to go back that way.

I had an E70 X5 with the 4.8 in it as well as the sport package and 20" Type 214 Y-spoke wheels. I never had any significant issues, but I also didn't keep mine much outside warranty. I think you are on the right track if you plan to get one--6-cylinder, 2010 and I would not opt for both the sport suspension and the largest wheels. The look is fantastic, but the ride and noise levels really suffer. With 19" wheels, the vehicle you describe would probably be very nice, but I would have concerns keeping it 10 years and if I planned to keep it that long, I'd expect to have some work to do with electrical, window regulators, etc.
images.jpeg

Thanks @AKAKTM Seems like most people get these on lease, and there's no problems in those first three years. But after that... potential box of Pandora fun. Like I mentioned, the MDX is a safe bet, and even a 2014 Highlander would work. But a low mileage (<50k) X5 would actually be less expensive, at least up front. Still collecting data... probably need to sniff around BMW sites, maybe that would be better than a bike site! :-)

@AKAKTM Q7 is on the radar as well, but I'm reluctant to buy a VW product. They have the best seating from what I read. Also looking at Toyota Highlander as well. You can see the direction we're heading in order to avoid another mini-van...

I was disappointed when I sat in the Q7 and more disappointed about the drive. I liked the Touareg much better than the Q7. I also like the MDX much better than the Highlander due to the sportier drive and character of the MDX, though I am sure the Highlander is a very reliable vehicle.

If the new XC90 turns out to be reliable, it would be a nice choice for a used vehicle in a couple of years.

I was disappointed when I sat in the Q7 and more disappointed about the drive. I liked the Touareg much better than the Q7. I also like the MDX much better than the Highlander due to the sportier drive and character of the MDX, though I am sure the Highlander is a very reliable vehicle.

If the new XC90 turns out to be reliable, it would be a nice choice for a used vehicle in a couple of years.
That XC90 might be the most beautiful suv out right now.

We're looking at all the same things!

That XC90 might be the most beautiful suv out right now.
Those haven't been on my radar, but they are nice. I need to buy older than that though, so probably not an option. Low-mileage 5-6 y.o. vehicles have always worked out well for us. Best ratio of deprecation and value.

I'v always done 2-3 years used. Recently sold a 2011 Cayenne that I bought with 20k miles for a great deal. The Cayenne was superb. I recently purchased a used Macan Turbo. It's not very big, but it is an amazing SUV/CUV.

I looked at a new F-Pace the other day. Very impressive and the base model is about the same price as a moderately equipped Explorer. I am eager to see how those hold up.

Don't discount the RX450 F-Sport. My wife was invited to drive one for a weekend courtesy of Lexus of Valencia and I have to say that I enjoyed it. The changes between the '13 (year my wife drives) and the new ones is day & night. Sure, it doesn't have the raw power of the V8 X5 but for what it is, I could easily see myself driving one but I'm getting old so that probably doesn't mean much. LOL

I looked at that gen X5 but felt that the interior space was too small for a vehicle that size. I have two friends with them also - one of them loves hers and has had zero problems, the other has had multiple serious issues but still likes it. They do drive nice. If you're not married to the idea of a full-on SUV, my wife drives the new generation Audi Allroad and loves it. It's the jacked up, butched out AWD wagon. It's based on the A4 platform with a 225 hp 2.0 T engine. Right now it's got 75K on the clock and it's been flawless. It's not that big inside but my wife likes it because it drives and handles more like a car than an SUV. I've had it up to Gooseberry so it's capable of moderate dirt roads/rocks but I wouldn't want to do anything more than that with it
img_5327.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at that gen X5 but felt that the interior space was too small for a vehicle that size. I have two friends with them also - one of them loves hers and has had zero problems, the other has had multiple serious issues but still likes it. They do drive nice. If you're not married to the idea of a full-on SUV, my wife drives the new generation Audi Allroad and loves it. It's the jacked up, butched out AWD wagon. It's based on the A4 platform with a 225 hp 2.0 T engine. Right now it's got 75K on the clock and it's been flawless. It's not that big inside but my wife likes it because it drives and handles more like a car than an SUV. I've had it up to Gooseberry so it's capable of moderate dirt roads/rocks but I wouldn't want to do anything more than that with it
View attachment 18986

Lovely, and would MUCH rather have a wagon, but due to kids, need three rows. Not a full time three rower like a minivan, but at least available three or four times a year for trips. Therefore doesn't need to huge. But X5 might be too vestigially small. Still leaning toward the X5, but damn, it is in no way a DIY vehicle any more. Sheesh, I read this and you can't even change a battery on the thing w/out an OBDII port: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e70-forum/90589-e70-battery-replacement-diy.html

@AKAKTM Q7 is on the radar as well, but I'm reluctant to buy a VW product. They have the best seating from what I read. Also looking at Toyota Highlander as well. You can see the direction we're heading in order to avoid another mini-van...

The Q7 shares the same platform as our Touareg (and the Porsche Cayenne), but is a 7 passenger... Great handling vehicles, and our Touareg has been trouble free going on 70,000 miles. But... I'd think twice about any VW product. We're not making any decisions until we see what future incentives they dangle in front of us diesel owners.

The Q7 shares the same platform as our Touareg (and the Porsche Cayenne), but is a 7 passenger... Great handling vehicles, and our Touareg has been trouble free going on 70,000 miles. But... I'd think twice about any VW product. We're not making any decisions until we see what future incentives they dangle in front of us diesel owners.

They actually look like a good option. 2010 is the year we would aim for, as it seems to have the best options available. And the third row is supposed to have usable room. I don't have a ton of VW experience outside of an '84 Westy. But horror stories on their product. But same stories abound re. BMW, and I've had multiple cars that were great.

If you think you need the 3rd row, even if only rarely, I suggest putting your child back there. Mine hated the X5 third row. It's about the worst in the business. The MDX 3rd row is much better.

Agreed, but the Q7 drove more portly and less enthusiastically. The Touareg drove much better than the Q7 and the Cayenne S I had drove better yet.

Wife is really liking the Q7. X5 ended up being just too small, with the third row just not useful at all. Q7 has one that is usable for sure. We looked at one that has 120k on it, and just too many miles for sure. Going to check this one out tomorrow if everything aligns: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5661787810.html

Also this low mileage V8, but up in Marin:
http://tinyurl.com/zhtblzy
I think you need to expand your options. Yucaipa is much closer than SD. :thumbsup:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5694837817.html

Back