Bike Commuting

Runs with Scissors

iMTB Hooligan
During Daylight Savings Time I do a 32 mile round trip (unless I take the long way home, then it's almost 40 miles) commute on the road bike and occasionally on the MTB. Most of it is on bike lanes and the SGRT, with about 2 harrowing miles on less than scintillating roads into a fairly good sized Southern California metropolis. Takes roughly an hour in, and an hour home unless (again) I take the long way. In comparison, by car it takes 40 - 45 minutes going in, and 45 - 60 minutes going home.

During non-DST I am not willing to put up with the homeward bound traffic in the dark - too many crazy freaks - in the morning there isn't much traffic to worry about.

I find that it does my body good. I get my two hours a day exercise 4 times a week, and I don't have to run which is in itself a phenomenal inducement.

Ergo my question: What would it take for you to commute by bike if a) you don't already do so, and b) you had any desire to do so?

Would it take Class 1, 2, or 3 bike lanes? Or do you care about that? What about a place to put your bike while at work? Shower facilities (I don't have those so I tend to take it easy going in; hammer going home)? Gasoline prices? Some other incentive? I'm curious about this because 3 years ago I'd have called a bike commuter dumber than a box of rocks. But we grow with experience, so I forgive myself.

when I was living in Anaheim I worked at this place in Huntington beach for about seven months. I would commute on my fixed gear everyday about 20 miles round trip and it was awesome! Felt good to save a little on gas and ride my bike 5 days a week!

I would love to commute via bicycle, but the #1 reason I don't is the time commitment required. Takes me 30 minutes to drive, and it would take me over an hour to bike. Commuting from Tustin to Corona my choices are: B* to Skyline, or SART. Either way I'd probably be driving to the starting point in Tustin because cars, and would have some city miles in Corona which I'm not too excited about.

I would love to commute by bike......but:

1. I work in construction, so my job site changes regularly
2. I work anywhere from 15 to 90 miles from home
3. Don't have an office to stash my stuff
4. 6am start times 50 miles from home would mean leaving at 3am
5. My truck is my office

If I worked the same place everyday, I'd be all over it.

For a while I was commuting 17 miles each way while taking a class at night....had a lot of fun doing that.

I used to be a bike messenger so I am less fussy about bike lanes, but my only condition is there must be a shower and a safe place to store my bike at work. Haven't had both of these in my last few jobs so I haven't commuted by bike for a few years now but if I have those and the distance to work is <1 hr ride I would do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a messenger for many years in downtown LA. Commuted 8 miles each way from Hollywood and then put in an average of 14 miles a day doing intervals through traffic. Miss those days!
Now I usually try to ride super early before work-quick 30 takes about ninety minutes just spinning.Try to ride about 3X a week. Keeps me ready for the mtb stuff.
Bike lanes would make things easier but when you see people usingthem to pass, merge, or park, it becomes frustrating. My messenger skills kick in and I feel more confident than most about my traffic weaving abilities.

I live less than 2 miles from work and I really should commute via bike, but the following things are stopping me.

• No showers at work
  • Bike clothes/shoes are specific
  • which leads to not being able to carry my office stuff AND work clothes/shoes on me while biking
  • Never bothered to get saddlebags or the like because I only had the one MTB and it was for MTB'ing and not commuting
  • I have always budgeted for going out for lunch, so that's a hassle to bike to lunch and back again with the clothes/shoes -- or changing my 15+ year routine of learning how to pack my lunch (which then means more stuff to carry!)

I have done it once or twice, and it isn't impossible, it's just a massive hassle :(

Cougar said:
I live less than 2 miles from work and I really should commute via bike, but the following things are stopping me.

• No showers at work
  • Bike clothes/shoes are specific
  • which leads to not being able to carry my office stuff AND work clothes/shoes on me while biking
  • Never bothered to get saddlebags or the like because I only had the one MTB and it was for MTB'ing and not commuting
  • I have always budgeted for going out for lunch, so that's a hassle to bike to lunch and back again with the clothes/shoes -- or changing my 15+ year routine of learning how to pack my lunch (which then means more stuff to carry!)

I have done it once or twice, and it isn't impossible, it's just a massive hassle :(

2 miles! and you need a shower? I do my workout and take a whore's bath in the sink. Few wet wipes, a little deodorant and I'm good-never had a BO complaint.
2 miles! You can be there in ten minutes! Back pack or messenger bag,more adaptable than panniers....
2 miles! Extra pair of shoes at work.

Sorry, but I think you are just looking for excuses not to ride. 2 miles. I would do that on my folding dahon in sandals. I used to commute to the bike shop 7 miles each way in cotton baggy shorts and Chacos...... :mrgreen:

Work starts a 5:00am and I need to be there at 4:15am.
Travel is 62 Miles one way to work.
No bike lane and barely any shoulder.
I leave now at 3:15am . . . . :(

But they have showers! ;)

rossage said:
2 miles! and you need a shower? I do my workout and take a whore's bath in the sink. Few wet wipes, a little deodorant and I'm good-never had a BO complaint.
2 miles! You can be there in ten minutes! Back pack or messenger bag,more adaptable than panniers....

Sorry, but I think you are just looking for excuses not to ride. 2 miles. I would do that on my folding dahon in sandals. I used to commute to the bike shop 7 miles each way in cotton baggy shorts and Chacos...... :mrgreen:

I totally agree that I'm making excuses. I think the lunch thing is probably my biggest hangup. It isn't that I don't want to ride (I actually bring my bike to work in my car and ride at lunch sometimes), it's that I can't figure out/become comfortable with the logistics. That and 2 miles almost doesn't seem worth it for the cost of not having good lunch transportation :P

I've been taking the MTB to work most Saturdays. I get to ride on a really wide train easement for 60% of my 13-mile ride. Work days would suck trying to cross Beach, Euclid & Harbor at the tracks. There is a two mile portion of the Whittier bike trail I hop on. As long as I leave before 8am I can make the trip to Santa Fe Springs without any gangsta issues (it is a miserable stretch of SFS). No way in the world I'd ever take Imperial, Whittier or Lambert pavement - no bike lanes, on-street parking and old school narrow streets all over. If a customer is coming in, I will take the whore's bath (I learned a new term today). I move my bike into the back office and it usually leads to lots of questions about riding.

For those that are wondering what a "whore's bath" is....

Fill the sink with hot soapy water. Immerse a small towel and proceed to wipe down your pits, crotch and feet. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Fill the sink with plain hot water again. Dunk your towel and remove soapy residue. Rinse and repeat if necessary.

Takes a couple of minutes. Less if "John" is waiting for you...... :o

You are now a whore! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have commuted to work many times and find the ride home more relaxing then sitting in traffic and only taking 5 to 10 minutes longer. The only thing holding me up right now is getting my 6 year old to school and getting to work on time. I have shower access and plenty of bike storage at work so when i have the time it is the way to go. In the summer I will try to ride as much as possible and my normal process is to drive in on Monday with my bike, clothes and lunch for the next couple days. I will ride back and forth just leaving my car parked at work so I have it if an emergency or just to get down to the water for my lunch time surfs.

Mikie said:
Uhhhh.....thanks?
Rossage, I don't recall anyone asking how to be a whore... :roll:

Sorry Mikie. My pimp hand is strong. I graduated from Snoop's Pimp Doctorate program. B.S.in BS. MBA in Master Beyatch Arrangement. PHD in Protecting Ho's Debts-which
means they pay me!
Sometimes you dont ask... you just do-then give me my money....Bitches! :o

Then take a whore's bath and get back to work. :o

Oh damn! I can feel the flames from here!!!

I’m one of the lucky ones that has multiple two and four wheeled options on how to get to work.

My story goes like this. Having spent 20+ years working six days a week and driving 100 miles round trip I was REALLY GETTING BURNED OUT. One day I came to the realization that I probably wasn’t going to be switching careers or jobs anytime soon (or the wife would shoot me) so I gave in and moved much closer to work. Living closer took away over an hours’ worth of commute time every day and that was huge.

I now live 6.5 miles from work and commute by MTB at least 3 days a week. The basic 6.5 mile ride to and from work consists of paved shoulders, dirt shoulders, and some sidewalk, lawn and driveway hopping to stay out of the traffic lanes. No bike paths unfortunately but for the most part it’s a lightly traveled road. I also have two other extended routes that are 10 and 15 miles each way and consist of paved roads, dirt roads and some singletrack and 1000 -2000 ft of climbing depending on which way I go. I can be to work in as little as 22 minutes or stretch it into a 1-1/2 hour ride. Found myself avoiding riding during the winter since it was dark both ways but then said screw it and bought lights and appropriate cold weather gear and now it’s no problem. Wifey razes me now if I don’t ride to work in the freezing cold or 100+ degree heat. Bottom line is she knows I’m in a better mood when I ride my bike and the weather just toughens me up. Funny how an hour drive used to frazzle the crap out of me but an hour on the bike is a fun escape.
There are lots of roadie guys in the area and I’ve thought about getting a dedicated commuter bike but it really would only cut a couple minutes off my time at best and limit me to the blacktop. I do have fun occasionally trying to catch and pass the roadies and even more fun watching them stop to fix their flat tires every few miles. Also I would probably look a bit ridiculous on a road bike wearing my camo Endura baggies and Mule NV on my back. The Camelbak carries repair items, water, lunch & clothing change and I leave extra clothes,shoes, deodorant and such at work.

Cougar said:
rossage said:

I totally agree that I'm making excuses. I think the lunch thing is probably my biggest hangup. It isn't that I don't want to ride (I actually bring my bike to work in my car and ride at lunch sometimes), it's that I can't figure out/become comfortable with the logistics. That and 2 miles almost doesn't seem worth it for the cost of not having good lunch transportation :P

You would be shocked at the amount of crap you can stuff in a camelbak mule nv...

Oh and my bike stays in the lobby or in the office and if anyone has issues with that they will be looking for a new place to work... One of the very few perks of being the boss :mrgreen:

KTMTOM said:
Oh and my bike stays in the lobby or in the office and if anyone has issues with that they will be looking for a new place to work... One of the very few perks of being the boss :mrgreen:
The owner was telling me that my Dahon folder looked cheapcand that customers would not like it when they walked in. In the next few minutes, a guy walked in to look at marble, saw the bike, and that gave me the common ground we needed to secure a lucrative contract.
YMMV.
What I'm saying is bicycling is not bad for business.

I live about 5-6 miles from work and don't ride because the two lane bridge over the freeway has no shoulder, only one of those 3 foot walls with chainlink on top. cars come ripping over the bridge at 55 MPH, people eating a cheesburger in one hand and text messaging in the other. I would rather play russian roulette!

I don't want to ride my bike to work.

I like to wear my professional clothing. I like to not get hit by cars. I don't want to buy a commuter bike. I drive 4 miles, so I am not destroying the environment as bad as I used to.

:wave:

If you live within 10 miles (or so) of work you should be forced to commute via bicycle. There are exceptions of course but just think of the results. Less car traffic, less pollution, people would be more physically fit, healthy and probably in a better mode. I'd love to commute by bike but can't do with my line of work.

Grego said:
If you live within 10 miles (or so) of work you should be forced to commute via bicycle. There are exceptions of course but just think of the results. Less car traffic, less pollution, people would be more physically fit, healthy and probably in a better mode. I'd love to commute by bike but can't do with my line of work.

Forced to ride? How about the bus? Or walking? Or to follow that to its logical conclusion, do we then outlaw cigarettes, beer (or any alcohol, really), anything but water, fruit and vegetables for human consumption, cows, etc?

I personally refuse to take a bus,train, or other public transportation no matter what. I'll drive or take the bike. Or I won't go.

Yes - I want to live in a country that forces you to ride your bike to work! That doesn't sound draconian. I imagine such a country would have lots of other reasonable laws too!

Pardon my sarcasm, but it was called for... :wave:

I will assume you were exaggerating for dramatic effect!

I can't bike commute because i have to drink water, talk on the phone w/o bluetooth while taking notes, scratch myself and keep the chipotle taco from falling apart while eating on the drive home. It's hard enough to do all that without worrying about holding the bars. at least I can steer the car with my knees.

My apologies to the person on the other end of the phone for my chewing in their ear. :roll:

i would do it simply if the roads were safer. Right now its only around 10 miles but that is all side roads through santa ana, not the safest place to ride. If I was riding a bike path or dirt I would do it in a hear-beat

Feeling like part of a community definitely motivates me to ride to work. I used to do a 3.5-mile ride to Rancho Cucamonga Metrolink station, then a 4.5-mile ride to office along Garvey Ave in Rosemead trying to integrate the Rio Hondo bike path as much as possible. The use of the bike and train made me feel so cosmopolitan, and I enjoyed experiencing the city with almost all of my senses.

Over the years I mived and the office moved so now when I chose to ride, it's 16 miles each way without train entirely along Rte. 66 from La Verne to Monrovia. Avoiding the 210 fwy at rush hour is also a perk, but the main reason I ride is for the euphoric feeling a bike ride provides: the shortness of breath, wind in hair, sun on face, so many senses tantalized!

I think having good equipment ( especially an adequate bike and clothing to keep me comfortable in all types of weather) is essential. Nevermind the showers...we're in a drought as it is...and my coworkers smell like cologne and perfume chemicals, gross!

Sometimes I try to imagine all the freeways with an entire lane dedicated to bicycles! Perhaps we commuters can set a good example and get more bums out of their cars and onto bicycles for their daily commutes. You want to talk about faith in society? Try riding a bike on the street at rush hour.

OK kids - I know most of you were alive when this gem of a movie came out. Lots of lanes open for bicycle commuting in this dystopic view of an America that ran out of gas...

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqYoB6BLOMw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqYoB6BLOMw</a>

Ultimately, Chet Roosevelt's America was bailed out by N.I.K.E. - National Indian Kindness Enterprises.

I challenge you to watch the entire movie! There are some very funny bits - and it's always interesting to see what parts of a futuristic America (made in 1978 about the year 1998) actually came to fruition. I don't think there's a United Hebrab Republic.

Back