At least Shimano has fishing reels.

AKAKTM

I’m..Dang. This is the most precise setup. Leaves no ambiguity. Shifting is the best you’ll experience on a bicycle. if this holds up, as well as my other SRAM, drivetrains, it’s almost worth it. As they bring the stuff down the range, it should dominate unless Shimano can answer quickly. More to come.

Well at least Shimano still makes great fishing reels
5D8FB778-D71A-455F-8099-F540542EE8CA.jpeg
5E05A221-6DCE-4457-A62E-9F88FC55DE65.jpeg
EABFA179-A0EA-4B01-A450-E0AB691FB145.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m..Dang. This is the most precise setup. Leaves no ambiguity. Shifting is the best you’ll experience on a bicycle. if this holds up, as well as my other SRAM, drivetrains, it’s almost worth it. As they bring the stuff down the range, it should dominate unless Shimano can answer quickly. More to come.

Well at least Shimano still makes great fishing reels
View attachment 87792 View attachment 87793 View attachment 87794

That drivetrain is no joke, just watching how it shifts is amazing. Pricey yes but after you ride it, your mind will quickly change.

Luckily I don't have a UDH bike, and no plans to get a new bike for a while, so I am not even tempted. That said, I am still likely to swap back to mechanical once I get around to buying a new shifter for my trail bike.

Shimano hasn't even caught up to the LAST generation of Sram offerings, they are years behind right now.

I would like to see SRAM do a cable operated rear derailleur for this group. As with manual transmission cars, though I appreciate my automatic and my electronic shifting, I still appreciate a mechanical connection to the derailleur and I don't see any reason that would not work. I'm in the process of building a hardtail and would like to build an XO mechanical system based on the new T-Type technology and do it with a cable operated post. That said, I have older AXS stuff off this Stumpjumper and will probably just use that.

'Cause I'm a cheap bastard and can't imagine spending that much to eliminate something I can adjust when needed and replace when needed...for cheap.

But that's just me. :thumbsup:

And I am a bit over chargeable / battery items...dear lord our lives are run by chargeable items... (no I am not a Luddite I work in Hi-Tech just saying ... frikin batteries, not the best thing for the planet either)

I think the batteries eliminated a problem that never existed. It takes pretty much zero effort to change gears and I might have to adjust my shifting once a year.
I’ve had two friends that had the Shimano electronic shifting and both destroyed their derailleurs on trips in areas where no shops had a replacement. In Prescott, only one guy I know has the SRAM system and he forgot his battery on a Sedona ride so he was single speeding all day.

And I am a bit over chargeable / battery items...dear lord our lives are run by chargeable items... (no I am not a Luddite I work in Hi-Tech just saying ... frikin batteries, not the best thing for the planet either)

This is so accurate! I too am over many battery powered things, they're everywhere. I thought a bit about the AXS, but just couldn't get over the thought of having to plug in the derailleur bike between rides. but pretty sure at some point it'll happen.

I see that the batteries could be a problem, and yes there was never a problem with cables. But in the 3 years I’ve had AXS, never had a battery or shifting issue. It shifts perfect every time, there is no messing with barrel adjusters or trying to run an internal cable through a frame. The list can go on. I understand that it’s not cheap, and I am fortunate enough to get a discount to make it more affordable for me.

Last edited:
I would like to see SRAM do a cable operated rear derailleur for this group. As with manual transmission cars, though I appreciate my automatic and my electronic shifting, I still appreciate a mechanical connection to the derailleur and I don't see any reason that would not work. I'm in the process of building a hardtail and would like to build an XO mechanical system based on the new T-Type technology and do it with a cable operated post. That said, I have older AXS stuff off this Stumpjumper and will probably just use that.
I see that the batteries could be a problem, and yes there was never a problem with cables. But in the 3 years I’ve had AXS, never had a battery or shifting issue. It shifts perfect every time, there is no messing with barrel adjusters or trying to run an internal cable through a frame. The list can go on. I understand that it’s not cheap, and I am fortunate enough to get a discount to make it more affordable for me.
Systems that genuinely work better are always of interest to me, as long as the tradeoffs aren't too big. And yes, that judgement can be very subjective. In my experience, a high-end, cable-actuated derailleur rarely needs readjusting. The XO1 systems I've had on bikes have been set and forget for months on end. I'm probably on the same page as @AKAKTM - when this new system gets more affordable (maybe by ditching the electronics) I'll be much closer to considering it for myself.

It is a tough decision. I've had several AXS groups and I've had XO1, XX1, XTR and I still have an SLX kit. All of them work pretty well other than when Shimano shifters fail, which recently happened to me. SLX and GX are really solid systems that I consider a great value. In my mind, anything beyond those are diminishing returns. As others have pointed out, once properly set up, cable systems rarely need adjusting and cables last a long time these days now that SRAM corrected the cable routing/connection (years ago) at the derailleur.

I can't say AXS is 'worth it' because it is likely NOT. What I like most about AXS is the much cleaner cockpit, easier setup since there's no running cables and almost no setup required, AND the lack of cable rattle hitting the bars or inside the frame. Most of the modern bikes I've had have cable guide tubes inside the frame and that helps, but the Firebird I just sold did not. The cables were free to move about inside the frame and move they did in rocky and bumpy sections and that makes noise. So, the clean cockpit, lack of cable noise and early on the cool factor of trying something new justified it for me. As others have said, the downsides are that one more darn battery to tend to....no, actually you may have four batteries if you have a post and derailleur (the main system battery and the transmitter 2032 in the bar module) and the only way to completely avoid not being left with a shifting issue at any time is to carry a spare for each or change the coin cell in the shifter once per year.

It's great to have choices and opinions! That's what makes this forum and these discussions so enjoyable.

Why would anyone want to voluntarily go back to cable shifting? You eliminate so many problems with the cables it’s not even funny. I have had zero issues with my XX1 AXS in the almost 3 years I’ve had it.
Until you forget a battery, forget to charge a battery, or a battery dies mid ride. I have had two of the three happen. Luckily on the time I forgot to charge*, I checked the bike the day before and found it dead so I charged it over night. And also luckily, when the battery died on another ride, I was only about a mile from the parking lot with fairly mellow terrain (that battery was fully charged when I started). I just like to pull my bike out and know it works, and cables do that. I will keep AXS on my XC bike because it does a specific job well, but I am going back to cables on everything else.

*I had just gotten AXS recently and didn't know you had to remove the battery when transporting. I drove 1000 miles with the battery in, so it was dead when I arrived the day before a 100 mile race.

Back