Anybody Else Appalled by the Trash We're Accumulating?

fos'l

I've been having groceries delivered lately, "co"-related necessity, and ordered two boxes of ice pops. They were delivered each individually packed in very thick, insulated bags which were then placed in another thick, insulated, reflective bag. Yikes! And no more ice pops.

I've been having groceries delivered lately, "co"-related necessity, and ordered two boxes of ice pops. They were delivered each individually packed in very thick, insulated bags which were then placed in another thick, insulated, reflective bag. Yikes! And no more ice pops.
That’s why we stopped doing Amazon Fresh delivery. Way too much waste with the insulated bags for cold stuff. Now that we’re back at work at our retail jobs we’re just going shopping in person. Unfortunately the Ralph’s in Laguna Beach a block from my house is not being diligent with the mask wearing requirement for customers. Tip: if subway’s Grocery delivery is still going on, it’s not very wasteful because of the large quantities in each package. Like a 2 month supply of bacon!
Starting to see lots of discarded masks everywhere.

and I meticulously separate the trash from the recyclables, like removing the staples from spam fliers, only to see the trash trucks
dump all 3 containers (trash, recycles, green waste) when no one is looking. Yea, I still do it just because they won't...

We use Sunbasket, Thrive, and Butcher Box for food delivery service. Not only do they have full organic clean food options. ALL OF THEIR PACKAGING IS 100% RECYCLABLE. The cardboard box, the plastic freezers bags and liners and even the contents inside the freezer bags... all recyclable! The contents in the freezer bags are cotton and water. They recommend recycling the plastic bag and throwing the water soaked cotton into a compost. WIN! Yes, it is a lot of packaging. But, at least its all recyclable.

They trashed the recycling bins over a decade ago because it was no longer profitable to sort (labor cost) the recycling bins to recycle. When I saw it, I did a google and the city of NB also had the same issue long before. Now it's probably common practice...

So even if they don't mix the bins at pickup, when they get to their dump site all of it goes into the trash pile anyway.

Last edited:
there are documentaries on recycled goods that used to get shipped to the far east and most of the time, they are simply burned as fuel,
not even recycled. They've long stopped accepting recycled shipments so now it's just trash.

Knowing this, I still sort... :-(

there are documentaries on recycled goods that used to get shipped to the far east and most of the time, they are simply burned as fuel,
not even recycled. They've long stopped accepting recycled shipments so now it's just trash.

Knowing this, I still sort... :-(

Don't give up the good fight. We still sort as well. It always burns me when I take out the trash and see that barely any of my neighbors use their recycle trash container. Ours is always full to the brim.

in my past life, I used to purchase 100+ computers every year. They used to come in 3 separate boxes per system: CPU, monitor and stand. Huge waste of cardboard and all that styrofoam, not to mention the labor to unpack and take them out to the bins spread out over many weeks... I and I'm sure many others complained and Dell eventually shipped in crates with minimal paddings. Over the decades, we've tossed/recycled 1000s of power cords and such that were never used.

When I was young I could get $1.08 for a hundred pounds of newspapers. I'd collect them in the neighborhood and someone would come by and pick them up. Now, many years later newspapers are worth about the same so nobody saves them anymore.

I just received a recently ordered desktop (tower only) from Dell. Cardboard box, two pieces of styrofoam to cushion, and FCC-required notices & quick setup guide (3 pieces of recyclable paper). I'd say Dell is keeping the packaging to the minimum required. Not long ago I got a monitor from HP. Same thing.

Anaheim is either really deceptive, or we really do have three separate trucks for trash, recyclables, and green waste, all powered by natural gas. They don't get them all at the same time.

and I meticulously separate the trash from the recyclables, like removing the staples from spam fliers, only to see the trash trucks
dump all 3 containers (trash, recycles, green waste) when no one is looking. Yea, I still do it just because they won't...
The Port of LA exports: #1 scrap steel. #2 scrap cardboard. Some people consume, some build. We used to build.

I remember Thrifty had 1 scoop .05, two .10, three .15. I used to work for a nickel. Your ice cream is worth the same, the dollar is not. Printing unsupported currency is the best tax, nobody votes for it, it is applied equally across all people.

One year in the mid 1980's, after I got off from my day job I had a route worked out where I would go around to local office buildings and rescue the computer paper and white ledger that they had been throwing away before they realized the value of their trash. It was like shoveling free money into my van. Took in $ 10,000 that year.

Back