The Automobile Thread

I bought a 1978 Camaro Z-28, off the showroom floor and in 1 year I put in a 500hp 383 stroker motor and a M22 4 speed.....talk about a blast to drive.
The only automatic cars I didn't change was my 1969 Z11 and 1970 Mach 1.

I always had sticks and loved them, until traffic in so cal got to a point I didn't want to deal with it for two hours in stop and go traffic. My leg would get tired!
So now I have a dual clutch trans and am happy as a clam. But who knows if clams are actually happy...

I always had sticks and loved them, until traffic in so cal got to a point I didn't want to deal with it for two hours in stop and go traffic. My leg would get tired!
So now I have a dual clutch trans and am happy as a clam. But who knows if clams are actually happy...
Isn't that just an auto transmission?

I don't drive enough for it to bother me having a 6-speed. But, my wife does want me to get an automatic next time so we can switch cars when needed.

This would be the only wagon I would buy, then put in a LS motor......

View attachment 93176

What dat? Want!

#wagonlife

53452394358_9ea839e729_b.jpg

My first wagon, 1974 Triumph mk2 estate, pretty much the same as this bad boy just on different wheels. Quite a rare thing in little old NZ as they were coachbuilt off the sedan variant in Coventry UK and shipped worldwide. The sedans were assembled in NZ.
20191008_135521.jpg.3d2cec7579c68ae7a1ded1511f15c7a4.jpg

Hey there, anyone know anyone that could repaint clearcoat? It's peeling off my front bumper (might just buy a painted ebay one) and the rear spoiler. So spoiler for sure... I can pull it off the car, just need someone that can prep and spray in SoCal.

I can, but my daughters car needs a little bit of work first.......the insurance company will not fix the car with over 300k miles. If I get the parts cheap enough I will fix it and repaint it the blue on the new Hondas.
I'm hoping she will buy another car and stop using mine.

20240322_160046.jpg

20240322_160059.jpg

I have recently started refusing to call anything an SUV unless it has off road sporting intentions.

Bronco: SUV
Jeep: SUV
Urus: wagon
Tesla: wagon

Wagons are better vehicles for 99% of the population. Of course, vans are even better for those same people, but they aren't "cool".
Very true. Both about the "SUV" and the vans. I would add 4-Runner to the SUV list. They have stayed true to off-road intentions.

"Back in the day" I used to like to take my SUVs over some jeep roads in CO, like Imogene Pass and a whole host of 4wd-required trails. At that time I had a Nissan 4x4 truck, which I traded for another, then a Pathfinder, then another, then an X-Terra, then another. All of those vehicles got some pine tree pin striping and low-range crawling. Nothing of the sort in the video above, but enough to make me feel superior to all those who never saw dirt.

I did take a home-equity-fueled detour into a Porsche Cayenne around 2004. It had dual range transmission and 5-level air suspension, so I took it off road near Buena Vista, CO. That was hilarious! There was so much automatic traction control, steering control, auto-leveling and other weird Sh!t going on that is sounded like some sci-fi garbage processor while trying to drive on rutted, off camber dirt. It was embarrassing and stupid. Luckily, there was no one around to see and hear my adventure.

My current definition of SUV is that it has to have 4wd, a functional roof and trailer hitch rack for transporting "adventure" sporting equipment (bikes, surfboards, kayaks, skis/snowboards - not golf clubs and little league equipment) and it has to venture off road (and/or significant snow) a few times a year. The SUV itself doesn't have to be the sport, but if so, that seals the deal.

Then there's the new breed of yuppie adventurer. Gotta have the pop-up tent, snorkel, hi-lift jack, shovel and spare water/fuel cans on your "rig" at all times. I think they call themselves "Overlanders." :facepalm:

Side note: we need a new derogatory term for older people who have yuppie tendencies - and I put myself in that category. And pretty much all of you too, since you are mostly all geezers who mt bike.

Last edited:
I paid about $350 for a U-Haul installed 1 1/8" hitch on my Audi Allroad, and about $3k for my 2" receiver on my Q8. :gag:

All VW Atlases come with an integrated 2" receiver, by the way.

And Tesla's "sport utility" Model X can't carry stuff on the roof, so it's useless as a sports-utility vehicle. Where will you put your SUP boards?

ours didn't....

I think all V6 come with it.. the 2.o turbo SE with technology did not.

Back