Snow Sports and/or Surfing

Winter has arrived! My first day of skiing for the season.
Bare Mt Hi 12-16-23.jpg

Despite the photo, the snow on the 2 runs that were open was fantastic! Kind of hero snow - soft but not slushy. Firm enough to edge in, but very forgiving. No hard pack. No ice. And no lift lines. Temps were comfy at about 50°. I went with @tbarnesarc of course. He knuckledragged while I two-planked it.

11 runs by 11 am for 11,000' . Leisurely stop at Village Grind for a Chai and lunch and home by 1:30.

And now the bad news. My hip is toast. This was the first time I've been skiing in forever where I could not make the kinds of turns I am capable of making. I did the best I could. I linked together a few awesome turns, but had to drift and slide for others. Not pretty and not me. :(

Last edited:
Winter has arrived! My first day of skiing for the season.
View attachment 91804

Despite the photo, the snow on the 2 runs that were open was fantastic! Kind of hero snow - soft but not slushy. Firm enough to edge in, but very forgiving. No hard pack. No ice. And no lift lines. Temps were comfy at about 50°. I went with @tbarnesarc of course. He knuckledragged while I two-planked it.

11 runs by 11 am for 11,000' . Leisurely stop at Village Grind for a Chai and lunch and home by 1:30.

And now the bad news. My hip is toast. This was the first time I've been skiing in forever where I could not make the kinds of turns I am capable of making. I did the best I could. I linked together a few awesome turns, but had to drift and slide for others. Not pretty and not me. :(

Exactly why I don't believe any "predictions" from the experts. The weather people are wrong more often that Dr Fauci. The seas supposed to be the monster snow year of epic proportions. I have trips planned to Vail, Tahoe and Park City. Hopefully, Winter gets busy sooner rather than later.

Exactly why I don't believe any "predictions" from the experts. The weather people are wrong more often that Dr Fauci. The seas supposed to be the monster snow year of epic proportions. I have trips planned to Vail, Tahoe and Park City. Hopefully, Winter gets busy sooner rather than later.
Maybe if everyone rode a bicycle to the grocery store there’d be more snow for your trips.

Last edited:
From NOAA:
...greater than 55% chance that El Niño will remain above that threshold for strong through January–March 2024.

It's not January yet, and 55% is not a strong prediction. El Nino is also warm, so rain is more likely than snow at this latitude.

I hope Vail, Tahoe and Park City are wonderful this year for you. What a life!

Last edited:

Well, Fauci just lies. Big difference from "being wrong." :cautious:

From NOAA:
...greater than 55% chance that El Niño will remain above that threshold for strong through January–March 2024.

It's not January yet, and 55% is not a strong prediction. El Nino is also warm, so rain is more likely than snow at this latitude.

I hope Vail, Tahoe and Park City are wonderful this year for you. What a life!

They have been predicting a MONSTER year for months. I'm sure they are changing their tune at this point. Of course, last year was predicted as "drier that normal" for Mammoth, Tahoe and the the lower SW like Taos, Purgatory and my lil' ol' Flagstaff resort and it was the best season in decades.

Borderline political post! You've been warned! :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

Jeez man, I thought you were on my team. :Roflmao

When everything one side wants to suppress by refusing to talk about it and/or instantly labelling it a "conspiracy theory" ... well, I am not sure how that is political.

The way I see things, there is truth vs. deception. I don't give a Sh!t about narratives. :devilish:

I use these guys to get my snow forecasts. Started using them last season and they've been spot on every time.

https://opensnow.com/

You'll be happy to know that I'm just as boring and predictable with my other sports as I am with mt. biking. o_O :oops:

Mt High again today with @tbarnesarc. Ten runs - 7 on Chisolm and 3 on Wyatt. The first run hurt. The 9th and 10th runs hurt. Runs 2-8 were pretty good. This hip situation SUCKS!!!!!!

I better ride tomorrow. It's the only thing that makes the hip feel good.

Snow was fine. Weather was great. No lift line. Done by 11:00 am. Lunch (for Taylor) and Chai for me at Village Grind in Wrightwood, then home by 1:00.

Idiots at Mt High 12-28-23.jpg

Aren't you going to catch those monster waves we're getting?
Somehow, somewhere you may have missed two facts about me and surfing. 1.) I suck at it and have no business being out in overhead waves and 2.) I can't straddle a surfboard in my current condition (hip). A 3rd fact - I won't go out in water colder than 60° - isn't in play since the water is about 62° still.

Same ol' same ol' today. Except both my left knee and left hip are getting progressively worse.

It was finally winter-ish up there today. A few inches of actual snow hid the dirt on the runs not open. Cold enough to wear a jacket all day. Snow was good on the two open runs. My body is betraying me rapidly though, I had to take a break after runs 5 and 8. A little 805 injection helped me power through runs 9 and 10.

Still fun. Thanks for tagging along @tbarnesarc! You were a snowboard God today. Well, as far as I know anyway.

Sorry, no pics. I would say that means it didn't happen. but Taylor has it on STRAVA - so it did happen! Well for him at least.

Last edited:
Back